1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Coup Attempt Latest Disaster to Threaten Turkey's Future as Aviation Hub

Discussion in 'Airport News, Talk & Discussion' started by Theo Nichols, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Theo Nichols

Theo Nichols Hangar Associate Member III

United States United States
    On the night of Friday July 15, a renegade section of the Turkish army launched a coup against the democratically elected government of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. Turkish military F16 fighter jets buzzed over the cities of Ankara and Istanbul while the army steamrolled Ataturk airport, which was the scene of tanks rolling across runways,massive crowds of civilians on the tarmac, and the iconic photo of a man lying in front of a tank at the entrance of the airport. The coup attempt led to the cancellation of all flights from Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul on Friday.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

Airplane Pictures ✈️ @iLove_Aviation

The #Turkish people have taken the airport. #Turkey

[​IMG]

The failed coup attempt is the latest disaster to affect Turkey after the Istanbul Airport bombing in June which left 36 dead and closed the airport down for days.

Turkey's geographic location as the crossroads between the East and the West has made Turkey, and specifically Istanbul,an important aviation hub in the Middle East rivaling the likes of Dubai and Qatar.

In 2015, Ataturk International Airport served 61.3 million passengers, up 8% from 2014. Since 2002, passenger numbers at Ataturk have risen at least 4% every year with passenger numbers growing at double digit rates in many of those years.

In the last decade, Turkish Airlines has been the driver of Istanbul's rapid ascendancy as a global aviation hub. Turkish Airlines has dramatically increased flights to destinations in Europe, the U.S., and Asia.Turkish Airlines has recently launched flights to American cities such as Washington D.C. in 2013 and Atlanta in May of this year.

What makes Turkish Airlines' Istanbul hub different from the Middle East hubs of Dubai and Qatar is that Istanbul is not only a gateway to Asia, the Middle East, and Africa but also to the European continent. Due to Istanbul's geographic proximity to Europe, Turkish Airlines can employ narrow body aircraft on routes to Europe.Today, it's not uncommon for a passenger travelling to Europe from the U.S.to have a layover in Istanbul.

Turkey's geographic placement as the bridge between the east and the west has placed the country directly in the crossfire of the war between Islamic terrorist organizations and Western armies. In June, Islamic terrorists bombed the departure hall at Ataturk International airport killing 36 people while injuring 147. Terrorists have also attacked popular tourist attractions around Turkey such as popular shopping district in Istanbul

However, as a result of various external and internal pressures, Turkey itself has become a divided and politically unstable country. Turkey is facing the external pressures of the complex and multifaceted war in Syria and Iraq which has led to the exodus of 4.5 million refugees, who have mainly settled in Turkey after the borders of Europe were closed.

Turkey also has many internal struggles from the battles between the increasingly Islamofascist and authoritariangovernment of Erdogan and the ethnic Kurds (who are fighting not only the Islamic State in the east but also the Turkish government after the Kurds formed a political party to rival Erdogan's dominant Justice and Development party) to the rebellious factions of the Turkish military intent on overthrowing Erdogan.

The recent burst of terrorist attacks, the failed coup attempt, and overall political instability have all caused foreign tourist numbers in Turkey to drop precipitously in 2016. The dramatic drop in tourists will most likely lead to Ataturk Airport's first yearly drop in passenger traffic this year.

Click ***HERE*** to continue reading​

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Morsi in Egypt was a "Democratically Elected" (Hillary playbook wink wink) Muslim Brotherhood Candidate too. Good thing that lying P.O.S. was successfully yanked out of there though. Now people can al SiSi better. Erdogan's days are numbered regardless. Does anybody in their right mind want to "vacation" in Turkey right now? Maybe after Obama leaves office! Obama's half brother 'Malik' somehow from Kenya, also a US citizen from Maryland is flying home to vote for Trump! :p:p:p:D ;).

exclusive
    Why Obama’s half-brother says he’ll be voting for Donald Trump
    By Isabel Vincent

July 24, 2016 | 5:26am

Modal Trigger
    President Obama's brother, Malik Obama, says he plans to vote for Donald Trump in November. Photo: Peter Duke (left); Getty Images (right)
    President Obama’s Kenyan half-brother wants to make America great again — so he’s voting for Donald Trump.

“I like Donald Trump because he speaks from the heart,” Malik Obama told The Post from his home in the rural village of Kogelo. “Make America Great Again is a great slogan. I would like to meet him.”

Obama, 58, a longtime Democrat, said his “deep disappointment” in his brother Barack’s administration has led him to recently switch allegiance to “the party of Lincoln.”

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Barack Obama is seen with his half-brother, Malik.Photo: AP
    The last straw, he said, came earlier this month when FBI Director James Comey recommended not prosecuting Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton over her use of a private e-mail servers while secretary of state.

“She should have known better as the custodian of classified information,” said Obama.

He’s also annoyed that Clinton and President Obama killed Libyan leader Moammar Khadafy, whom he called one of his best friends.

Malik Obama dedicated his 2012 biography of his late father to Khadafy and others who were “making this world a better place.”

“I still feel that getting rid of Khadafy didn’t make things any better in Libya,” he said. “My brother and the secretary of state disappointed me in that regard.”

But what bothers him even more is the Democratic Party’s support of same-sex marriage.

‘I like Donald Trump because he speaks from the heart. Make America Great Again is a great slogan. I would like to meet him.’

- Malik Obama
    “I feel like a Republican now because they don’t stand for same-sex marriage, and that appeals to me,” he said.

Obama believes strongly in the institution of marriage — so strongly that he has at least three current wives, although press reports have put the number as high as 12.

When asked by The Post how many wives and children he has, Obama demurred.

“That’s personal,” he said.

Obama made headlines in 2011 when he married his third wife, who was still in her teens.

Obama plans to trek back to the US to vote for Trump in November. Obama used to live in Maryland, where he worked for many years as an accountant and is registered to vote there, public records show.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]

The president’s and Malik’s father, Barack Obama Sr., left Kenya in 1959 when Malik was a year old and his mother was pregnant with his sister Auma. Obama Sr. enrolled at the University of Hawaii, where he met and married the president’s mother, Stanley Ann Dunham. Malik Obama didn’t meet his younger half-brother until 1985. President Obama, 54, has seven half-siblings from both sides of his family.

Malik Obama, the eldest, is the director of the Barack H. Obama Foundation, a controversial Virginia charity named for his father. He says he started the charity in 2008 because he wanted to make a difference in the family’s hardscrabble village in Kenya.

But the charity came under fire when The Post revealed in 2011 that it was an off-the-books operation that hadn’t registered with the state of Virginia or, as it claimed, had tax-exempt status from the IRS.

Shortly after The Post report, the IRS gave its stamp of approval, leading to speculation that the president had intervened.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Malik Obama seen announcing his intention to run for a Kenyan gubernatorial seat.Photo: Getty Images
    But Malik Obama bristles at the suggestion, saying he dug deep to pay for the electrical transformers and college scholarships that the foundation provided in Kogelo. According to its latest tax filing, the nonprofit has just $24,000 in its coffers.

“My brother didn’t help me at all,” said Obama. “He wanted me to shut it down when I set it up. He hasn’t supported me at all.”

SEE ALSO

Obama's half-brother sells revealing letter from president
    Lately, family ties seem to be frayed. Obama, who was best man at the president’s wedding, said he spoke to his brother a year ago and was miffed that he did nothing to help his own foray into politics when he ran for governor of the southwestern Kenyan county of Siaya in 2013.

Malik Obama lost the race, and spent $20,000 of his own money on the unsuccessful campaign.

“I don’t think politics is my thing,” he told The Post. “Honestly, I’ll be happy when my brother is out of office, and I will finally be out of the limelight and be able to live like a human being.”

Until then, Obama wears his new GOP colors proudly; He even has a “Make America Great Again” hat.

“Mr. Trump is providing something new and something fresh,” he said.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Yeah, you sure won't catch me flying through there, if I have anything to say about it.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  4. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    The failure of the military's coup is not in the best interest of that country. Erdogan is an Islamist. NATO will come to regret courting him and his country in the years to come.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Yep. Thanks to Erdogan, Turkey is not the 'Western' country that Ataturk kept it as a secular Democracy.. Oblahma hasn't helped things there or anywhere for that matter.

6. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Interesting that President Obama's Cabinet (Clinton) has continued the legacy in the Middle East started by the 1990's Neo-Cons Cheney and Wolfowitz.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  7. Lord Leighton

$$$$$$$$$

Everett 757 likes this.