1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

CESSNA 303 twin cranes into house

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Richard Wyeroski, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    A Cessna 303 twin is a fair size aircraft. It fueled up at Sky-acres airport and on take off an engine failed and the pilot lost control of the aircraft.

Twins should be able to fly on one engine, but if the aircraft was at gross weight and an engine fails the performance is greatly reduced. At the standard temperature of 59 degrees a twin will only climb at about 300 feet per minute at best. In this case it was a hot humid day...........The airport is 700 feet above sea level. The density altitude would be around 15-1800 feet. The take off performance will be very marginal. A dangerous situation and an engine failure would be a disaster ......A risk and one can die very easily.......Sad!

MORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Small plane crashes into house in Dutchess County, killing 2
    Posted: Aug 17, 2019 10:17 PM EDTUpdated: Aug 18, 2019 6:15 AM EDT

UNION VALE, N.Y. (AP) - A plane crashed into a New York home Saturday, killing one resident and one person on the aircraft and causing a massive fire, state police said.

The National Transportation Safety Board is to determine why the Cessna 303 plunged at about 4:30 p.m. in the rural town of Union Vale, 15 miles (24 kilometers) southeast of Poughkeepsie.

State police spokesman Steven Nevel said three men were on the plane; one died and two were injured. Of three people in the home, one died, another was seriously hurt and the third is missing.

Two golden retriever puppies and a grown Newfoundland dog escaped the flames that engulfed the house on Union Vale's South Smith Street.

The names of the victims were not being released until family members were notified, the state police spokesman said.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Cessna left Sky Acres Airport in LaGrangeville, a mile from the crash, and was headed to Republic Airport on East Farmingdale, Long Island.

State police Capt. Paul DeQuarto said at a news conference that the plane first took off from the Orange County Airport in Montgomery, New York, then stopped to refuel 40 miles (64 kilometers) away at the Sky Acres Airport before continuing toward Long Island.

DeQuarto said the Cessna had some kind of engine trouble before it struck the side of the two-story house, but he had no other details.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  2. Richard Wyeroski

CESSNA 303 Crusader
    626608D1-07BA-4B01-8565-13A36A2AC48A.jpeg

Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I didn't hear a thing about this until this posting and this happened in my backyard. I live Hyde Park, NY, not far from Sky Acres or Union Vale. It looks like since we have friends from Long Island visiting on my vacation week here I wasn't paying too much attention to the news. Seems like a lot of the news outlets local, NYC and National covered it.

Hot Humid day, aircraft at max weight the loss of an engine at take off spells trouble or in this case disaster. The runway at Sky Acres is 3,800 feet long and I know earlier in the summer some of it was closed for repaving. Don't know how much or if the runway was in full operation at the time of the crash.

Not only the occupant of the aircraft killed but someone in their own home. Googled the incident. Tragic and very, very sad.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. Richard Wyeroski

Yes......It will be pilot error because the flight was a calculated risk. No one expects to lose an engine. In this case an engine failure meant the aircraft would not have any single engine performance.

Calculating the take off would have clearly indicated this. So the question has to be why did the pilot do this

“Careless and reckless” probable cause!

Sad!

Lord Leighton, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Get homeitis? Classic case. RIP especially to those on the ground. :( I can see libtards tryin to ban all airports now.

Everett 757 likes this.
  6. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    The C-303 was built primarily as a trainer for high-performance and high-altitude multi-engine training. Embry-Riddle bought a few. As such, it's engine-out handling is fairly benign. Even if the pilot couldn't maintain altitude on one engine, he should have been able to maintain directional control and avoided any residential structures. I will go further than 'careless and reckless' and blame poor airmanship.

Everett 757, Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

It’s funny......quite a few people I know go to this airport because fuel is cheaper and savings. could be well over a dollar a gallon! Good deal for most small plane owners. I also go to this airport iF i am going this way!

Loading up a twin with fuel like this is a crap shot. Loose an engine on take off and it will not fly......where will it crash?

Is it worth the money savings? This pilot saved maybe 200 bucks ......!

Was it worth the savings? .........!

8. Richard Wyeroski

9. Richard Wyeroski

No NTSB report....l have run the numbers on this crash. Based on 90 degrees F and an airport elevation of 700 feet, the aircraft could not maintain altitude at all if losing an engine on take off
    Sad