1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Can't wait for the ride sharing...

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Rotorruss, May 8, 2018.

1. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

United States United States
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

It should be interesting to watch the outcome. Share a ride with someone
    you don't Know. In an aircraft you hope is in good shape and a pilot that you hope that he knows how to fly. What could go wrong!?;)

BTW I am sure the people will check the pilots qualifications? I am sure.

3. Rotorruss

....job security for someone?? (Mechanics, lawyers, accident investigators, etc.) It's making them drone taxis looking good as an alternative?? Retirement can't come soon enough!!

4. Richard Wyeroski

No problem....

Rotorruss likes this.
  5. Rotorruss

..reminds me of a couple of inspectors doing curnency flying!!!

6. Richard Wyeroski

Yes Current but not proficient ......

Everett 757 likes this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

;)....I flew with a few inspectors like this:cool::D.....actually the management in my office (Farmingdale FSDO) asked me to fly with an inspector from the region that was not current and need to take some training.....I basically had to give him instruction. Never knew why they wanted him to take training?

8. Richard Wyeroski

One point about flying G/A in Europe. It is tightly cotrolled, over regulated and very expensive. So only the very wealthy can afford to own their own aircraft. Flying clubs are big there also so maybe that is an avenue for riders to take.

An example is dual in for a two place trainer in the UK runs $350 US plus expenses, like using the tower, calling ground control and call for a weather briefing. A Pure buraractic nightmare that all but destroyed private aircraft ownership.

Imagine here in the US, if the FAA was actually helping G/A instead of hindering it. Yet inspite of it all G/A is surviving and growing due to a better economy under the Trump Administration.......let's see what the future holds.....I am betting better times ahead!

Rotorruss likes this.
  9. Rotorruss

...it certainly can't get much worse. They should just drop the medical and just go with the drivers license. They won't because the designees would throw a hissy fit. Where else can you go and pay hundreds of dollars just to "turn you head and cough"?? Thanks to the regulator, I can't get a medical because of their carelessness!!

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  10. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

It's just common sense. Too many here in the US split hairs with this concept. Of course, the USA is the most litigious country on earth too. It's ok to ask pilots of empty private planes to fly cancer patients for free etc for charity, but heaven forbid a pilot wanting to cost share.

Richard Wyeroski and Rotorruss like this.
  11. Rotorruss

...it should be simple for the "regulator" to implement. All they have to do is add another algorithm to their computers to determine risk. That way they can monitor safety by sitting at their desk!! Who needs an Air Carrier certificate anyway. It takes years to get one too. Maybe the "regulator" should contract that out too??

12. Richard Wyeroski

Flying 135 is highly regulated. It does take years to get a certificate. I have gone through the process as an Operations Inspector and provided oversite on Certificate holders. Jet aircraft are one thing, but this new industry is aiming at the private pilot with his own aircraft. IMO it is not a good idea because it will increase the accident rate with General Aviation. I an sure the insurance companies will take a dim view also, when law suits against the pilot are brought forth!

An innocent so called share passenger can be putting his life in his hands as the private pilot operator scud runs to get home. I could think of many safety situations with this kind of operation!

There is a reason why 135 is regulated with required maintnenance for 135 aircraft. Pilot qualifications like Commercial Certificate with an Instrument rating and minimum flight experience. Then the 135 pilot is required to take a flight teat with a FAA Inspector. I have of course did many of these tests and still found problems with qualified personnel.

So it is not as simple as sharing a ride with someone you don't know and getting in an aircraft with questionable maintnenance.

Lastly I see temptation for these pilots to literally run an illegal business flying passengers......;)....Just my opinion

Lord Leighton and Rotorruss like this.
  13. Rotorruss

...it shouldn't take but maybe 90 to 180 days for a 135 certification. If the "regulator" wasn't so lazy, they could "getter done"! HR4 sec 516, outlines the "ride sharing". Leave it to congress for mandating how it will be implemented. What else could go wrong??

14. Richard Wyeroski

So right there Russ........I know of a really sharp company that never had an accident or busted an FAA regulation as a flight school that is frustrated on the 18 months "so far" that it is taking to get a piston 135 simple aircraft with 5 or less pilots......

Congress IMO plays politics and they really don't know much about aviation......many are pilots but that is so few compared to the other 450 that are not!

Yep let them regulate it. But then is it fair to all those that have spent thousands of dollars to get a 135 Certificated ?

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  15. Lord Leighton

:p:cool:

Rotorruss likes this.
  16. Lord Leighton

Those who spent $thousands finally would have a chance to recoup some of tbeir investment in an ongoing way. What's the difference to a note left on a small GA airport cork board and the electronic media? Just evolving from the 20th century to the 21st is all. The message is the same. believe me, if I were to use this service, you'd bet yer A$$ I'd do some prior research into equipment and qualifications. When one uses UBER, you're only dealing in a 2 axis atmosphere. Some UBER drivers are FAR from ideal as well.
    There are bad apples in all professions/passions as you know only too well. This service would be limited to COST SHARING only. What scud runner is gonna take the time to post and wait for a pax if he wants to get home that fast? Illegal 135 operators/air taxi drivers would be rooted out fast. This isn't about THEM. Legitimate sharers would post their credentials/equipment JUST to alleviate any questions, I'm sure. I sure wouldn't fly with just some Jamoke with an airplane and neither would cancer patients praying for a life saving ride! RELAX ffs. ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Rotorruss likes this.
  17. Richard Wyeroski

Well.....time will tell....there are also jamoke brainless passengers too....

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  18. Lord Leighton

We see them on the news everyday!

Rotorruss and Richard Wyeroski like this.