1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Canceled Flights, Wrecked Vacations, Pax Frustrations Rise as American Airlines struggles: FA

Discussion in 'Airline Fares, News & Discussion' started by Lord Leighton, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

We have three American Eagle flights a day into Stewart Airport from Philadelphia. One that arrives at 10:56AM, one at 4:57PM and one at 10:22PM all operated by the Embraer ERJ-145. For most of the winter and spring these flights were pretty much on schedule give or take 15-40mins. The month of August was a nightmare for these passengers. I would walk in the door for work at 1000 and already see the 1657 flight and the 2222 flight marked "Cancelled" on the monitors. Other times they would show "ON TIME" or "ENROUTE" and suddenly become Cancelled or diverted. We would have American's customers come to the Hertz counter looking for one way rentals to PHL which was about $200, then they would yell at us about American and how their not paying for this because they are blaming it on the weather.

I spoke to one of the American Airlines ticket agents one day and asked what's going on with their PHL flights. They told me that they are having ongoing union problems with the former US Airways employees who still are working on a separate contract and that was a US Airways major hub and a constant shortage of aircraft due to mechanical conditions and the reliability of the Embraer aircraft. In addition they have issues with crew scheduling where they have the aircraft at the gate but no crew. Now a 3 hour delay to get a standby crew and sometimes they just cancel the flight because the route is not one of their first tier routes. The flights are operated by Piedmont operating as American Eagle but is wholly owned subsidiary of American anyway. That's the mess. I can only assume this dysfunction permeates throughout the whole American System

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

If you buy out a competitive company, be prepared to afford their union employees as well or you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot by watering down your core business.

Everett 757 likes this.
  4. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Very true.

Lord Leighton likes this.