1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Bogus turbine blades

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

...OH, how I love it when the people who are supposed to keep us safe, have a hard time keeping track of the SUPs. It's just a matter of time before we have one over the water when a blade lets lose!

Maybe, it's time for the "biggly one" to name the "great pilot"??

3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Suspected Unapproved Parts SUPS on the increase. Every year there are more engine failures because some one used worn out parts with fake documentation. A new set of turbine blades in the average jet engine can cost 1 million dollars. Recertifying these blades ( provided they are airworthy enough to do so) can save 60-80 % .

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Everett 757 and Rotorruss like this.
  4. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

SUPs are all over the spectrum in aviation. From the most expensive part on an airliner to the parts on a little plane. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "farmer Brown" or "Joe cropduster" using an alternator made for a car on their plane. Keeping track of parts is not that hard. It's being "lazy" at best or "money hungry" at worst, for not following the process. It appears that the "honor system" has failed again and the "regulator" came "late" to the "dance" again!

The old story goes, everyone checks their speed when there's a cop car sitting along the road. So too, the "regulator" should oversee the people who they are charged to "oversee"!

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.