1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Boeing 777X failure....

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by Rotorruss, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

United States United States
  2. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Yup....
    Noticed 2 things in the article- First, the differential pressure was over the design max. To my knowledge, that increases the rigidity of the structure, and the structure still crumpled. So... the claim of reaching within 1% of the goal is a little suspect. Second, all the articles I've seen that show this picture are quoting Boeing sources who claim the FAA will let Boeing fix the problem by computer simulation. I've not seen any FAA people quoted. Given Boeing's recent failures at self-certification, if I were the FAA, I'd order another test to validate the fix. If Boeing were smart, they'd run another test to gain the public's trust and to protect them in law suits after an idiot pilot pulls the wings off in flight.

In essence, Boeing Engineering's finite element analysis has failed. While being within 1% of target sounds good, every engineer knows that this break could be on the high side of median (meaning subsequent airframes might break at lower limits). Their finite element analysis also failed as concerns the 737NG pickle fork cracking. FEA is the backbone of aircraft engineering and Boeing has failed twice at it. If I were the Administrator....
    there would be another test, and I would make it known that 1.5 is not a good showing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Boeing needs this like a hole in the head! Why did this model have a problem. It's not an all new aircraft. It seems the test may have been defective!

The FAA does not appear to have anyone to evaluate if there is a problem!

4. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

For Boeing, the hits just keep on coming. Sorry regardless of what the article says downplaying the failure this is still a big f'n deal. I don't think a computer simulation to prove the fix would be satisfactory. Another real world test is in order here to prove the design fix to be satisfactory. If I was Boeing and the FAA I would insist upon it considering the doubt that already exists between Boeing and the FAA in the certification process. We already saw the results when shortcuts are taken in the process.

5. Biggles

Biggles Hangar Bronze Member III

I have very little knowledge of airliner construction, but shouldn't testing as critical as this be completed before the assembly of complete airframes that are intended to fly? Will the six aircraft already partially finished have to be altered before flight?

6. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Biggles likes this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Yes and that entity is the FAA. There is no one at the FAA that wants to make a decision. So Boeing continues to bleed until there is a big news flash.......BOEING GOES CHAPTER 11.

The FAA is so broken that no one will do anything in fear of their precious job!

Biggles and Lord Leighton like this.
  8. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    There are major fatigue and stress tests of individual assemblies, and those tests were passed.

Biggles and Lord Leighton like this.