1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Biz Class-American 777 LHR-MIA (Pt One!)

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Gary737, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

United States United States
    Mrs 737 had another biz trip over near London three weeks ago so we flew on American on the all-nighter to LHR from Miami. She flies Biz Class on these trips so we wangled me a ticket up there as well.

The car rental offices are right next to the arrival runway and I always try to get a few shots from there when we turn the car in before going to the Terminal to fly home.

[​IMG]

For the return trip, I was in 8A, about 5 rows back, left side, from the entrance door..... just foward of the left engine and that gave me a great view from my two windows. However, the two windows are so far away that they are useful only to let light in! I have to unbuckle in order to get up to the window to really see out. The following photos were mostly taken with a touch of 'zoom' to eliminate the frame of the window. Not always successful.

Here's what the seat looks like.

[​IMG]

I take the blanket and fold it up as an extra cushion for the fairly hard seat. The seats are angled inwards 'for privacy' they say. The TV screen swings out from the back of the seat in front of me. The touch screen requires a special 'touch' to make anything happen that I almost do not have! :mad: The 2,747 'touches' were about what I needed to watch one movie. Uggggh.

Although the seat is angled outboard, the pop-up arm rest for my right arm is not angled, making it line up about 20 degrees to the right of my body and about 6-8 inches away. 'Useless' comes to mind!

You can see the fixed side panels that leaned on my right shoulder. On my left arm/shoulder was that 'wall' that housed some electrical controls. 'Warm' comes to mind. Another tiny/useless arm rest for my left arm.

The small mirrored door that's open houses the Bose headphones. To plug them in, you must 1) Get a bright light, 2) Shine it on the inside wall of that cabinet, 3) Contort/twist your body to try and figure out which of the three prongs of the headphone cord goes into which hole, 4) Pray for luck. The small door will now not close without smashing the headphone cord. Which VP 'approved' this MacGiver design? :eek:

It was a Full Flat seat which was nice for the short snooze that I was able to enjoy. I do not sleep well at all on airliners and Mrs 737 says that's because for 20 years of my crewing/flying airliners, I was not allowed to sleep. She thinks my brain's is fully locked in the Sleep Mode OFF position. Probably right.

Now, she was across the aisle from me, however, her seat was angled the same but 'inboard'. Plus, for some reason, her seat is about 12-14 inches aft of mine. In order to talk to her, I have to lean out into the aisle, twist hard to the right and speak fairly loudly to be heard! How much are these VPs getting paid for these awesome ideas? You are 'Alone' if you fly in an AA 777-300 in Biz Class. The two inboards seat have a short wall between them. You both must lean forward to talk.

Shoving off gate 27 (30 min late for various reasons), we cranked the engines and began to make the long taxi to RWY 27.

A Royal Jordanian B-787.

[​IMG]

Something's not right here. Not at a jetway, two Police cars with lights on, extra trucks around it..... hmmmmmm.

[​IMG]

Better enjoy the A-340s before they all get retired...... Virgin Atlantic.

[​IMG]

Nice line-up as we make our way across the field. Twin A-380s from Emirates and Qantas. We have flown on an Emirates 380 from SYD-AKL-SYD and I personally was impressed how quiet it was at a window seat doing .83 mach but even more impressed with the beautiful F/As from almost a dozen nations! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Notice the two, upper/lower jetways that allows both decks to be boarded at once!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking lonely is this Aer Lingus A-320.

[​IMG]

The Canadians were out in full force that day and looking sharp!

[​IMG]

But this baby Air Canada Airbus kind of left me puzzled being so far from home!

[​IMG]

I'll take a wild guess that Icelandair has very pretty F/As! This was taken the day after the trouble in Turkey so the Turkish jet in the background may still be there!

[​IMG]

South African was there....... It was last Saturday so I'm sure that's a busy day there.

[​IMG]

Still looking sleek and fast just sitting on the ramp! I've been lucky enough to have been inside three Concordes.

[​IMG]

El Al parked all alone.......

[​IMG]

With a full load, lots of gas for the 8+ hour flight, I knew the take off roll would not be a quick one. DHL ramp right as we lifted off.

[​IMG]

We had been told that we'd be taking a slightly southern course that day due to weather over the Atlantic. Could this airport be Gatwick (LGW)?

[​IMG]

I loved it when we flew just west of Portsmouth down on the southern coast! We have visited there a few times and wow, is that place FULL of history! The day we arrived, we over-nighted in Portsmouth and then hopped on a car ferry over to Cherborg, France where we spent three days romping all over Normandy and visiting many D-Day battlefields. WW 2 history is a passion of mine. Here's Portsmouth.....

[​IMG]
    And the very nearby 'Isle of Wight'. Great weather?

[​IMG]

And the Cotentin/Cherborg Peninsula.

[​IMG]

More in Part Two!

Drjohn, Orca17 and xnwa like this.