1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Biz Class American 777 LHR-MIA (part two)

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Gary737, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

United States United States
    I would have done this as one thread but I think we are limited to just 20 photos so I had to do it in two parts.

Passing the Cherbourg peninsula we flew past Guernsey Island.

[​IMG]

I usually mention to the F/As that I'm an ex-F/A myself and 9 times out of 10 my Rum and Coke magically becomes RumS and Coke!

[​IMG]

I opted for the fish dinner which was pretty good! It had two thin fillets of 'Turbot' over rice. Ice cream with melted fudge for dessert!

[​IMG]

Finally, out over the North Atlantic I made the one F/A happy and closed my window shades. I actually had a nice nap later on as well.

The TV screen showing the Flight Map showed that we were passing just north of the top of the Bahamas so I had to take a peek! This photo looks down on The Little Bahama Bank. I've run boats across there many times and the water is about 10-20 feet deep and crystal clear! Exuma Guy will like this one.........

[​IMG]

This is a great old map and it shows The Little Bahama Bank marked by the dotted line. The plane began to descend as we approached the Florida coast north of Miami. Then we turned left and got in line with the other arrivals coming into Miami. There, we were over the Gulf Stream, heading south.

[​IMG]

The Gulf Steam is a huge 'river' of warm water that flows between Florida and the Bahamas and then it passes well offshore of North Carolina and it eventually makes a circular flow over towards the UK!

We went over this large cargo ship and the 'prop wash' can be seen trailing a mile or two behind the ship!

[​IMG]

Getting lower, we went past this big ship that was heading south.......

[​IMG]

North of MIA we made a right turn to enter the downwind leg of our approach into the airport. This would take us north of the field. Got a great view of downtown Miami and I can even see my wife's office building down there!

[​IMG]

The Approach Controllers took us way out to the west of the airport before finally turning us loose for the runway. This photo shows a small area of The Everglades and this looks northeast. This is not far from where the ValuJet DC-9 crashed in 1996 as well as the Eastern Air Lines L-1011 crashed in 1972.

[​IMG]

Off in the distance I got a nice view of Opa-Locka Airport. Looking at the roads, etc below, I realized that we'd be landing on RWY 12 at MIA.

[​IMG]

Just about to touch down. No tail number on the 727-200 freighter so I could not find out about its past!

[​IMG]

Exiting the runway, we had a long taxi to get the gate. MIA is a massive hub for American. We approached from the top left (below) to land on RWY 12. We pulled off near the South Terminal and then had the loooong taxi back to the top of the North Terminal.

[​IMG]

Here's a few others that we shared the ramp with on the way to the gate.

[​IMG]

A LAN Cargo (Chile) 777 exiting RWY 9.

[​IMG]

And the huge Cargo Terminal at MIA.

[​IMG]

This MD-83 was formally flown by American. These guys do charters out of Miami.

[​IMG]

This UPS 757 is in the 'run up' ramp/area. Here, the engines can be run at any power setting safely.

[​IMG]

A Bahamasair 737 on his take off roll.

[​IMG]

Looking on the north side of the field we can see the old Air Florida and Midway Airlines hanger to the left. We had our flight related offices on the left side of the building. I did my first 737-200 Ground School there with Midway in Jan 1985. The BA Concorde departed every morning about 9:30 and we soon started taking our coffee breaks at 9:25 so that we could go outside on a staircase and watch it roar down the runway! It was L-O-U-D! The ATC guys worked it out so that he would have no one out in front of him. Ft Lauderdale is just 25 miles to the north and as the Concorde passed Lauderdale, we was climbing past 29,000 feet we were told! :eek: LOTS of memories from that old hanger!

[​IMG]

Looks like a Centurion Cargo MD-11 on the ramp with a 747.......

[​IMG]

And there you have it! Hope you enjoyed coming along!

Next up will be another American flight from MIA-BWI (Baltimore) in a few months. We'll be staying less than 10 miles from the massive Smithsonian aviation museum at Dulles Airport so you know where I'll be spending a few days! :D

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Nice shots and narratives Gary! Ty. The Udvar Hazy center should take about 2-3 days! ;):)

Drjohn, Everett 757 and Flytdeck like this.
  3. Flytdeck

Flytdeck Hangar Bronze Member VI

Qatar Qatar
    Really enjoyed the ride. Thanks....

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Gary, thanks for sharing this! It was like being along for the ride. You took some really great pics. I love to spot planes at MIA whenever I get to go there. My favorite place is along runway 9 - 27. I've seen a lot of international flights land and take off from there. I love to watch the cargo jets, DC-10s, MD-11s, 747s, 727s, etc.

Flytdeck and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Gary737

Just the other day we passed 10 miles west of MIA and we saw a Lufthansa A-380 on final approach to RWY 9. That runway is over 13,000 feet long making it one of the longest commercial runways in the world.

Off to the left of that runway, there used to be a USAF Reserve squadron based there in the 1950s. C-47s, C-46s, C-119s, TB-25s, SA-16s, etc all were based or went through there. Capt Dad was an Operations Officer there and flew all the planes that I've listed from there.

From 1985-91, I used to land on that same runway while flying 737-200s and MD-80s for Midway Airlines. It was always extra fun to be coming in to land on the same runway that my Dad landed on 30 years before!

6. Everett 757

That would have been very special for you. Very pleasant memories indeed.

7. Gary737

Thanks.......

Being a WW 2 pilot, he started smoking then. In 1979, just weeks after I 'soloed' in a 1964 Cessna 150, he passed away at age 56 so we never got to fly together.

While based at MIA and being an Operations Officer, he had access and permission to fly whatever was on the field! His logbook shows him flying 5-6-7 different types of planes in one month and sometimes different airplanes on the same day!

They had an Air Rescue Squadron based there so he was able to log some time in the Grumman SA-16 Albatross. He never got 'water qualified' though.

Just like this one.

[​IMG]

8. Everett 757

Gary, thank you for sharing those memories. I found them very interesting, and touching. I lost my Dad in an accident when I was in my teens, so I understand the feeling of not having been able to do some special things with him later on in life.