1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Beijing - Kyiv Flight on Ukraine International 767-300ER

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Shawn White, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

United States United States
    Went on a "short" trip this last week, flying with Ukraine International Airlines non-stop from Beijing to Kyiv (sometimes spelled Kiev). Previously I've always been a loyal Aerosvit customer and have logged a ton of miles with them, but apparently now they're are out of business. :( Ukraine International was happy to take over the route, however, keeping the exact same flight with the exact same plane. the 767 was in fairly nice condition, with cabin-wide entertainment and music selections (although not personal TV's) and great seats. While not super wide, the seats did have excellent recline, so along with free blankets and pillows it was a fairly comfortable sleep. The flights are scheduled to depart Beijing at 1:35am and arrive in Kyiv around 8am, so I slept (on and off) throughout the entire flight, arriving in Ukraine with a 5 hour time difference, but no jet lag at all. Unlike North America - Asia flights, transitioning to European time was no issue at all. Soon after takeoff they served a light meal, and immediately afterwards they dimmed the cabin lights for everyone to sleep. It was very nice though how every hour the flight attendants would walk up and down the aisles and offer drinks to everyone. It was very relaxing to sleep for a bit, wake up and drink tomato juice, before going right back to sleep and not having to get up and leave my seat at all. It really helps to stay hydrated during the flight, and avoids the "foggy brain" feeling after flying for a few hours.
    The entire flight took about 11 hours, up considerably from the previous 9 hours, since the flight route was modified to avoid overflying Russia. Instead of the smooth arc on the flight path over Central Russia, we snaked across Mongolia and Tibet, before passing over Georgia, the Black Sea, and coming up from southern Ukraine towards Kyiv. Obviously there is still a lot of tension and bitterness over the "war" with Russia and especially the MH17 incident, getting shot down and all. I'm really hoping the situation improves and they start to work stuff out; right now nobody is benefitting from the situation and even though the whole issue has sort of left media headlines, the conflict is definitely not resolved, and people on all sides (Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Ukraine, etc) are still dying.

Anyway, it was a cool flight, and now I'm enjoying some great Ukrainian, weather, family, and food. I was swimming at the beach yesterday, and this morning we visited the Ukrainian Aviation Museum. Got to see a Tu-95 bomber on display there, which was kind of cool. :) In a couple of days I'll be flying with LOT Airways through Warsaw on the 787 Dreamliner, and hopefully I'll get some better pictures of that.

IMG_1064[1].JPG

IMG_1067[1].JPG

IMG_1068[1].JPG
    IMG_1071[1].JPG

IMG_1069[1].JPG

IMG_1073[1].JPG

2. Shawn White

_MG_9469.JPG _MG_9510.JPG _MG_9421.JPG And from the Aviation Museum today---

3. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Cockpit is Mi-8?
    Aren't you supposed to be in school? :)

4. Biggles

Biggles Hangar Bronze Member III

Great pictures Shawn, I wish I could find a way to jet set around the world !! I'm jealous.

5. Shawn White

Yup! That beast of a helicopter, and one of the ugliest to ever grace the skies... But it's used all over the world in like 30 different countries, so it does its job pretty well. I'm totally getting a type rating...

6. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

He likes "Da Bears"! They changed the rules here. School doesn't start til after Labor day for all.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    Everett 757, Shawn White and Biggles like this.
  7. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    School started last week in South Florida. If Shawn gets current on the Mi-8, he could fly for the United Nations peacekeeping forces! :)

Shawn White and Biggles like this.
  8. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Yea, in Iran? :eek::rolleyes: Before, In Michigan, the teachers were b**ching because they wanted a shortened summer to facilitate more days off for them during the year (per union thinking). Parents were keeping their kids out of school on vacation and as a protest saying in effect, "SUMMER AIN'T OVER TIL AFTER LABOR DAY! ENJOY TEACHING NEAR EMPTY CLASSROOMS!". New legislation concurred and basically said school is about the students, not the teachers. In the past, it always was after Labor Day but the teacher's union changed (snuck it in) it, until it went back to a public vote.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Shawn White and Biggles like this.
  9. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    Or any number of other garden spots! :)
    It's about the adventure! (and time-building)

Biggles and Lord Leighton like this.