1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

AVNews- Kalitta 777F delivery

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Mtrainer90, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Mtrainer90

Mtrainer90 Hangar Bronze Member IV

United States United States
    Today (June 18th 2019), Kalitta Air, IATA code K4 & ICAO code CKS, took delivery of its first Boeing 777 at Willow run. The aircraft will clear customs here at Willow run and then head up on a short flight to Oscoda. N772CK, previously registered as A6-EFE of Emirates cargo is a 10 year old Boeing 777-200 freighter and is the first of this fleet type for Kalitta Air. The Michigan based cargo carrier is headquartered at Willow Run, KYIP with a large MRO facility in Oscoda, KOSC. Their hubs include Cincinnati, John F Kennedy, Anchorage, Hong Kong and Bahrain. The company currently owns 24 747s and 8 767s. The company has been a long time operator of the 747 but did not add the 767 to their fleet until August of 2016. Kalitta currently has plans for at least one more 777 aircraft and is also rumored to be building a large hangar capable of handling the 777 maintenance at Willow run.

2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this.

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Oscoda is the old Wurtsmith AFB that Kalitta leases the whole thing for MRO.

Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Mtrainer90

Mtrainer90 Hangar Bronze Member IV

I read the soil is contaminated to badly and they would have to remove 6 feet of dirt to build anything there now which is why they want to build it at Willow

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

I was thinkin that their building at Willow was in addition to Oscoda. Kalitta's are a growing outfit and Willow is more convenient regardless. I'm thinkin Willow Run is gonna see a new resurgence. One of the most historically famous and under rated airports in the US, let alone it's car biz history. I worked (Maintenance/Construction, Tool & Die Welder Apprentice to Journeyman) at GM Chevy Livonia, Spring & Bumper plant at Amrheim and Eckles Rds for about 8 yrs. They tore that plant down decades ago and the land was so contaminated, the run off from it forced them to drain Newburgh Lake and dredge it 25 ft. They had a special environmental company come in and had to remove 200 FEET of ground down under the old plant and refill it just to be able to rebuild on it which building just started to happen last year. The largest plating line in the world was there. You could smell it for miles around. It was in yer hair.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Everett 757 likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I work at SWF it looks like Kalitta flies in a B747-400 Freighter every night. If I go in early it's there. If I leave at 2330 its there but otherwise absent during the day. Would love to see it either depart or arrive. Guess I get to get up pretty early to see that. There's lot's of interesting aircraft around SWF if your there at the right time and look in the nooks and crannies. It's now called New York Stewart International Airport (because Norwegian flies in) other wise a collection of Delta CRJ200s, American Embraer RJ 140's and 4 flights a day by Jet Blue with Embraer 190's to FLL and MCO and daily flights by Allegiant to Sanford, Myrtle Beach or RSW depending on the day of the week with A319 aircraft. Also ANG base, greatly reduced 5 years ago now mainly C-130s and C-141's. The NYANG flies the supply flights to McMurdo Station in the Antarctic.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.