1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Aviation Panel Recommends Changes to 1,500-Hour Requirement: Aviation News Today

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Lord Leighton, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

....ain't gunna happen!! Senator "Chucky" will make sure of it. He will claim that there hasn't been any crashes since the law.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  3. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    The airlines sponsor much of ARAC for self-serving purposes. 'F' 'em!! Let them pay pilots in accordance with the responsibility that comes with hundreds of peoples' lives and there won't be a (supposed) shortage of pilots.

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Ironically the whole change to requiring a SIC to have 1500 hours an a Airline Transport Certificate with level 3 Simulator training, came out of the Colgan crash. That crew had over 6000 hours between them.

Congress kinda forgot or did not know (they had no clue) that an ATP Certificate also has an age requirement of 23.

The regional airlines basically had low time pilots as SIC to save money. I know a pilot has to learn his trade, but maybe sitting in the right seat of a Regional Jet with a lot of people behind you is not the place to learn.

I guess the games are about to start and the losers will be the pilots, and passengers that pay the price for trusting the government and (regional) airlines to get them where they are going.

5. Rotorruss

....well, again, the lack of oversight caused s "knee jerk" reaction. If the "Fake" Aviation Administration "management" would have listened to the "principal" about safety concerns, maybe nothing would have happened. "Shakers" and "pushers" are there for a reason and "correct reaction" to them are a must. Couple that with "crew rest", it's no wonder we had a crash.

"Chucky" just wanted a "legacy" for "safety". He doesn't care how much it will cost the "end consumer". The "restricted" ATP shows that "certain training" qualifies as "hours" for an ATP.. It's "collusion" between the government, military and higher learning institutions to gain access to the airlines jobs. Who else will have a "simulator" to access for ATP training?

It all started with agency "management" not listening to "principals". Where have we heard that before?

"Drain the Swamp from incompetent, self serving management"!

6. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    We've discussed the irony before... We agreed that the 1500 hour rule doesn't fix the Colgan accident, but as I stated many times, the new requirement is a good thing as far as safety is concerned. It was a good time for the Congressional Aviation Sub-committee to push it through. I hope the airlines fail in their push to diminish the requirements.

7. Richard Wyeroski

Years back most applicants that were hired had 3000 hours from experience in the field. Flight instruction was the main pathway to the airlines. 135 charter was another. It was a tough time working for peanuts until that airline job came along. Only in the last 15 years were pilots hired with low time, because they came out of college with "airline training."

Lord Leighton and Rotorruss like this.
  8. Richard Wyeroski

I remember an investigation I conducted where a Regional Flight had a class "A" runway incursion while holding for take off. The aircraft taxied over the hold line while another aircraft was landing. The flight stopped before entering the runway. The tower filed the incursion.

I called the tower and got their information and asked for the tape on the incident. After talking with the Airline Chief Pilot, I called and discussed the incident with the Captain. He was a nice fellow and was concerned and took full responsibility. During our discussion he told me he was very concerned that new SIC hires were poorly trained and barley able to do the job. I agreed with him that there was a trend where new SIC's were hired with 300 hours and the airline expected the Captains to train them. During this flight the SIC was the pilot flying PF and the Captain looked away for a moment and the PF relaxed the brakes and the aircraft drifted a few feet over the hold line. After all was said and done I contacted the Captain that I was closing the case based on counseling him. The incident would be on record for two years and it will then be expunged. He was relieved and the case was closed.

BTW I took a little flak on this from management and it appeared to me that they wanted me to bust the Captain. The bottom line on this was regional airlines were hiring inexperienced pilots for low wages....again it was ironic that the Colgan crash was the reason (although not connected) this changed and Congress stumbled in and caused a mess..........

9. Rotorruss

There are several stories like this out there. The sad thing you identified is the lack of correcting the "deviation from compliance". It appears that the "new way" to fix the problem is to let the operators "self correct" the infractions. I'm sure that it will all change when the tin gets bent and lives are lost.

To me, flight time doesn't matter. I was injured and disabled by a 10,000+ hour pilot. It can happen to anyone.

10. Richard Wyeroski

.....management wanted the Captain violated for the sake of violating him. There is nothing that could be done about the situation because the regionals were following the regulations. The attitude was the SIC was a legal warm body and would work for minimum pay. How stupid is this?

The problem with what Congress did was requiring that SIC to have an ATP certificate. Flight time is a proof of experience. A flight instructor with 2500 hours with 2000 hours dual given is a good airline applicant with flight skills. To survive 2000 hours dual given is an accomplishment and a pilot learns how to fly.....or else!

11. Rotorruss

...right along with the 2 or 4 years of sitting in class to get a restricted ATP? Or a 5 year commitment to get half time off a restricted one? It seems like we already have a way to get into the right seat. The military is short of pilots because of the "better life" in the right seat. So what's the answer? Keeping the country safe with qualified military pilots, or allow similarly qualified civilian pilots sit in the right seat?

It's good that we have "Compliance Philosophy" to solve the "little lapses" of the rules. Those "right seaters" can now make the "mistakes" and get "retrained" with all the "return to safety" the "philosophy" allows! Oh how I love SMS!!