1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Aviation cops at O’Hare told to stay behind security: report

Discussion in 'Airport News, Talk & Discussion' started by AeroDon, Jan 16, 2017.

1. AeroDon

AeroDon Administrator

United States United States
    Aviation police officers at O’Hare Airport have been told they won’t be sent to disturbances in baggage claim or other places outside of security.

Department of Aviation officers, who aren’t allowed to carry guns, were sent an email within hours of the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting Jan. 6 saying they wouldn’t be dispatched to any disturbances outside of the secured areas of the airport, according to a CNN report.

Department of Aviation spokesman Owen Kilmer would not say Thursday if the directive was given.

“The Chicago Police Department has primary responsibility for landside security,” Kilmer said in an email, referring to public spaces such as baggage claim that are accessible without going through security screening checkpoints.

A spokeswoman for Service Employees International Union Local 73, the union which represents Chicago’s aviation officers, said Thursday that officers had been notified they’d be disciplined if they spoke to the media about the issue.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said that while the individual turf of the two law enforcement agency’s is defined — Chicago Police Officers handle the areas before security screening and Department of Aviation police handle secure areas, such as terminals and gates — each will assist the other when necessary.

Any response would also be in coordination with federal law enforcement partners, including the Transportation Security Administration.

A year ago, CNN reported how unarmed aviation police officers were trained to run and hide if they were to confront a gunman.

Ald. Chris Taliaferro (29th), whose proposal to allow aviation officers to carry guns has languished in committee since April, said he fears airport security is becoming complacent.

“Chicago is a reactionary city, but we shouldn’t wait for an incident to occur before we finally say ‘Yes, let’s arm our aviation police officers.’ We need to be proactive,” he said.

“I’m not saying our airports are not secure, they’re secure. I’m saying we should provide even better security than we currently have,” said Taliaferro, a former Chicago Police Officer.

Taliaferro said he’s never received an adequate explanation for why aviation police do not carry guns, even from Department of Aviation Chief Ginger Evans.

“Ginger Evans said we would be blurring the lines of the primary law enforcement agency at the airports. In all honesty, that’s not an explanation,” the alderman said.

Dian Palmer, SEIU Local 73 trustee, issued this statement Thursday:

“Not only are these officers unarmed, they have orders to run and hide in the event of an active shooter, leaving the very people they have sworn to protect vulnerable to this threat. The tragic shooting in Fort Lauderdale recently highlights the need to find a solution to ensure that aviation officers are able to adequately protect everyone at the airports.”

“The aviation officers of SEIU Local 73 continue to demand that they, as sworn law enforcement agents, be armed for the safety of the public and all the people who work at the airport, including themselves. We have been working with Alderman Chris Taliaferro on legislation proposing to arm the aviation police officers and hope the City Council will address this important issue soon. At O’Hare alone, more than 75 million passengers each year are at risk because aviation officers who protect areas like the tarmac, as well as patrol public areas such as baggage claim and passenger check-in, are unarmed.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/aviation-cops-at-ohare-told-to-stay-behind-security-report/

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

This is evidence of a corrupt and totally useless ultra liberal mayor Rahm Emmanuel to facilitate(Rim) the reactive rhetoric of the Oblahma administration and his bogus gun control policy to deflect from all his other failures. What good is a badge with nothing to back it up instead of a dust cloud from cops running away from an emergency? Case in point, Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the country, therefore only the bad guys have guns and the record breaking murder rate PROVES that there are not enough good citizens with guns(if any) to defend themselves and loved ones. o_O

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. jbbooks

jbbooks Hangar Bronze Member V

Unarmed police officers..........how stupid can it get? Maybe a no fly zone over an airport.

4. Lord Leighton

Yeah, Kinda like a weird set of Siamese Twins, One's a ventriloquist and the other's a mime. o_O

5. Flytdeck

Flytdeck Hangar Bronze Member VI

Qatar Qatar
    Another ethical conundrum. Theoretically, nobody would be in possession of weapons once past security, so airport security personnel should not require weapons of lethal force. OUTSIDE security is a different matter altogether.

On a side thought concerning weapons, the Second Amendment has a practical application though this seems to come at a very high comparative cost. Though I am relatively proficient using various firearms, have never felt a need or desire to own one. Consider the attached article: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/ The data source seems valid and reliable.

Back to this topic. Possibly firearms should only be shipped cargo rather than in personal baggage and screening should take place at the entrance to passenger terminals (as done in several other countries).

Lord Leighton likes this.
  6. jbbooks

LOL, only you my friend.

7. Lord Leighton

The above article doesn't delineate between deaths caused by the criminally minded/illegally armed and the responsible citizen/legally armed. Therefore the article above is a slanted political tool by the puppet controlled MSM. (Let's not forget 'Fast-n-Furious' that got busted too) Look at Israel and Switzerland for example where the people's stint in the military has them armed after, look at their numbers. You are correct that the policy that allows for no security at the baggage claim end of things needs attention. That has nothing to do with responsible citizens owning firearms. This particular case was a failure by the lax Oblahma apparatus to take obviously dangerous people out of armed equation as the laws already on the books demand. (Guy walks into an FBI field office and displays that he's a nutjob? Why wasn't he flagged for automatic disqualification to possess?) Same with the guy in Orlando. Because he had a Muslim name, he was allowed to be taken off of potential bad guy list after displaying disqualifying behaviour TWICE? I'm late for Tee time! Off to the golf course! o_O
    Obama,Foley.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Richard Wyeroski and jbbooks like this.
  8. jbbooks

100% AGREE

9. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

:D

jbbooks and Lord Leighton like this.
  10. Richard Wyeroski

.....amazing....do they sent firemen to fires without fire trucks!!!!

Flytdeck, Lord Leighton and jbbooks like this.
  11. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Though this is only a small part of the debate on this issue, remember that before an individual in Israel or Switzerland is even ISSUED a weapon, they must undergo a very thorough psychological evaluation then extensive firearms training. A surprisingly high number do not qualify and are shuffled to other duties not involving a gun. Therefore, those who retain their RIFLES (NOT handguns which are controlled by issuing facilities) have had to pass several hurdles to achieve that responsibility. In comparison, what evaluation/qualification process is required to purchase a firearm in the USA? As you pointed out, the stats do not differentiate between the crazies, but then neither does a bullet.

12. Lord Leighton

Or a knife or any other 'implement'. In the US, ALL States are required to put every CPL/CCW applicant through an intense/extensive FEDERAL background check. This can take up to 45 days. Although every state has it's own laws/rules regarding a CPL/CCW, they still have to go through that check and IT trumps all States laws. To buy/own a firearm for home defense at the minimum, any potential gun buyer has to go through what they call a N.I.C.S. check. 'National Instant Criminal Background Check System'. This less intensive check also looks for any mental illness issues on a historical(as opposed to hysterical) basis. To move up to a lawful concealed carry license/permit (CPL/CCW), One has to go through 8 full hours of serious training ie: legal issues, responsibilities, situational issues, the state laws including where one CAN'T carry(with exceptions for Police, judges, parole officers, retired same, etc, etc) intense range instruction/time with a firearm and a proficiency test as well as a written test. One cannot get into a CPL/CCW class unless they have been through some firearm basics and what level experience one has. It is widely considered for anybody to possess a license/permit that they are being held to a higher public standard. Most gun crimes are committed with Illegally acquired firearms by criminals and crazies who have no respect for any laws. Legal gun ownership and carry are part of American/Canadian Culture. One of Alinsky's 8 steps to destroying a Democracy is to disarm the people. Australia made a Yuge mistake a few years back by forcibly taking their citizens guns away. Canada has huge issues right now as well. In fact the RCMP is Illegitimately writing some gun laws rather than they go through parliament as required. All this done by Liberal governments. "Those who surrender their weapons, will work for those who didn't" ~ Harry Truman. Remember, In the US, Constitutionally, the government works for the people, not the other way around like it's been for too long. ;):cool:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  13. Richard Wyeroski

....Americans have died to protect the Constitution..... The second amendment.... Is the right to bear arms ...police today are literally targets by terrorists and criminals.......they should have the right to bear armso_O

Flytdeck, Lord Leighton and jbbooks like this.
  14. Lord Leighton

Like President Trump said, "If all 50 States recognize every other State's Driver's licenses which are privileges, then the 50 States should recognize every other State's CPLs/CCWs which are RIGHTS that SHALL NOT be infringed!" ;)

15. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Attended a gun show in Houston a couple of years back. Very crowded with many purchases being made. Watched with interest as firearms were sold to individuals without even a request for identification.

16. Richard Wyeroski

crazy!....a good place to go for criminals and terrorists!

17. Lord Leighton

With 'Gun shows' nowadays, any vendor of guns has to have any buyer pass a NICS check as well in order for a sale to go through despite what the anti-gun nuts project for tactical universal disarmament reasons. Quite Simply, there is NO 'Gun Show Loop hole". The Political dichotomy is, they can't close a loop hole that isn't there,(Liberals are famous for having solutions to problems that don't exist), lol. Scare tactics don't work either, in fact misinformation actually discredits the anti-gun nuts when they stand up in front of a camera with ZERO Knowledge of guns (Like in Commiefornia) and proclaim that an AR-15 style rifle(available to the public) has a "Bullet Button" :p that turns an AR into fully automatic doomsday machine. Only idiots gobble that crap up. Btw, "AR" does NOT stand for "Assault Rifle", it's simply the initials for the company that designed the original and it's name is "Armalite Rifle" and has been around for 60 years. In fact, Oblahma and his A.G. goon Eric Holder got caught with their pants down when they secretly armed the Mexican drug cartels with M-16s(real military fully automatic assault rifles)and other illegal weapons, in an effort to frame certain gun dealers in Arizona for illegal gun sales. It was known as 'Fast and Furious' that backfired and is what forced Oblahma to fire(resign) Holder as A.G., taking the sole blame for that farcical crime. Oblahma should have been impeached and both thrown in prison just for that automatically! More proof that Liberals deflect and project onto their opponents, in psychological tactics to hide exactly what THEY themselves are doing. Common traits with narcissistic megalomaniacs. HRC is a champion of that tactic and was caught in a 'hot mic' moment saying "Democrats are stupid and easily manipulated". Who's stupid now? :p:D;):cool:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    jbbooks likes this.
  18. Lord Leighton

If that were in fact true. ;) When I was at a gun shop/range in Pasadena TX back in 1980 while visiting friends, I was lookin at a S&W .357 Magnum. I couldn't buy it because I didn't have my Michigan Driver's License with me. It was suspended for points for driving my 'Assault Hot Rod Mustangs' too fast, :p

Richard Wyeroski and jbbooks like this.
  19. jbbooks

That is extremely hard to believe.

20. Lord Leighton

Exactly! More Liberal Bull$h!t rhetoric. This is an example of what's stated by Lemmings who believe the 'stories' put out by the NWO puppet master George 'Soreholes' who backs the biased and Liberal far left extremist MSM and newspapers (90% of the US/Canadian/EU) media. o_O

jbbooks and Richard Wyeroski like this.