1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

ATR Formally Launches ATR 42-600S (Short Take-Off and Landing): FlightAware

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by Lord Leighton, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I just realized the ATR-42 has been in production for over 33 years!

In 1986 I worked at Dutchess County Airport KPOU and was friendly with the Command Airways employees there. Dutchess County Airport was also their home base and corporate headquarters.

Command which later became part of the American Eagle Consortium, was flying just the Shorts 330 Aircraft when they became the U.S. Launch Customer for the ATR-42.

Command had a demonstration flight for IBM execs it's biggest customer since their main plant was in Poughkeepsie, NY and for local travel agents. One of the my friends at Command got me on board the with all they hype and festivities that these kind of flights had which included the demo flight which went from POU-JFK-BOS-POU. Champagne and snacks included. We also all had dinner at "Brendan's at the Airport" restaurant, a really nice one, that was on the top level of the POU terminal. I was very impressed with the ATR-42. It was a modern, pressurized (versus the Shorts 330 which was not) comfortable and quiet aircraft. Thank you for posting the news LL about the ATR-42.

Wow did that 33 years go by quick. My parents were right when they warned me make the most of every day because if you don't you'll turn around and be an old man. Well at least I'm in the early stages of being an old man right now.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Glad ya like em. I've never flown on one and they seem to be the favorite of third world airlines from what I've seen. I flew on a couple Dash 8s and loved em. They seem to be used by the better small airlines regardless of their weak MLG. They manage the crosswind buffoonery together with the roller coaster runway of the ill designed Manchester airport very well.

Kevin likes this.