1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

And it's called 797.

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Exuma Guy, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    http://www.investors.com/news/dow-s...first-quarter-earnings/?src=A00220&yptr=yahoo

Dow Jones industrial average component Boeing (BA) has racked up more than $2 billion in extra costs on the KC-46 tanker for the Air Force, but the aerospace giant has learned key lessons from the military program's headaches and integrated them into its commercial aircraft business.

The tanker, which is based on a modified 767 airframe, is now in production but ran into delays for development of its refueling boom, wing-mounted air refueling pods, and wiring. CEO Dennis Muilenburg said the company has used those lessons to help deliver the 737 Max ahead of schedule and under budget as well as get the 787-10 into flight testing a month early.

"For the first time, we're building a military product, highly modified, in our commercial product line, and we see huge cost advantages to bringing that capability in line in our production models," Muilenburg said during the company's conference call. "But around the edges of that, things like systems installation, wiring installation, the details that go into concurrently designing and building and how to do that most efficiently."

Lessons from the KC-46, which saw $120 million in extra costs in Q1, come as Boeing considers building a brand-new midrange plane dubbed the 797. Boeing has been under pressure to develop a new twin-aisle jet to grab market share back from Airbus and its A321neo jet.

As a stopgap measure before the midrange jet launches, Boeing plans to extend its largest 737 Max to limit further losses to Airbus. The so-called 737 Max 10 could be unveiled at the Paris Air Show in June, sources told Reuters.

Muilenburg didn't say Boeing's experience with the KC-46 would feed directly into the 797 and 737 Max 10 and declined to offer any details about them, such as the price tag, despite reports of carriers wanting a new plane at around $70 million-$75 million. But he did say Boeing is having productive conversations about the business case for each option.

"Our primary focus is engaging with customers and understanding their future needs," Muilenburg said.

Boeing shares were down 1% to 181.71 on the stock market today, pulling back further from a 185.81 buy point, as Q1 revenue missed forecasts. Rival Airbus (EADSY) dipped 0.6% despite securing a $6 billion deal for 20 A350-900 widebody jets from China Southern Airlines.

Boeing's core EPS jumped 16% to $2.01, beating analyst views for $1.95. Revenue fell 7% to $21 billion, under views for $21.35 billion. Commercial revenue dipped 1% to $14.3 billion, as commercial aircraft deliveries fell to 169 from 176 a year ago. Defense revenue declined 18% to $6.5 billion.

Total company backlog was $480 billion, up from $473 billion at the start of the quarter. Free cash flow soared to $1.63 billion from $527 million a year ago.

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    I been hearing a few wisps/hints on the 757 replacement being more likely and designated the 797 for few months now. Better late than never!

Everett 757 likes this.
  3. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Yes, it is better late than never. It was almost too late. Boeing sure was dragging their feet on this it seemed.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  4. Lord Leighton

I hope it has the unique hot rod look as well! ;)

Everett 757 likes this.
  5. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Hmm... I'm thinking that the label of 'MoM' is a misnomer to throw off the competition.
    I'm still thinking it's a B-737 replacement.
    It will look like a miniature 787 and can be shortened down to 120 seats or lengthened to 240 seats with very good range.

Everett 757 likes this.
  6. Everett 757

Me too! :)

7. Lord Leighton

I saw something in yesterdays Airnation weekly news letter that suggested that Boeing is looking at the 737-max10 as the 757 replacement(lame!) and the 797 as a replacement for the B-767. Hope they come to their senses. The 767 was never a 'MoM' A/C even when the 757-767 enjoyed their lone entrant respective markets of their times.

Everett 757 likes this.
  8. Everett 757

I saw a similar report. Boeing has to do this one right. They won't get another chance.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  9. Nathanmarcus

Nathanmarcus Hangar Associate Member IV

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Airbus Corporate Jets (ACJ) 320 new engine options neo aircraft is the longest-range single-aisle business jet in the A320 family manufactured by Airbus.The Melody cabin design for the aircraft was unveiled in November 2016. The aircraft is expected to enter service by the end of 2018. ACJ also develops ACJ318, ACJ319 and ACJ321 in the ACJ family. The ACJ jets can carry more passengers than traditional business jets, making them suitable for governmental and corporate functions.
    Click here to know more:-https://goo.gl/wDGuRW

10. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

Uggggghhhhhhh long range in a narrow body! :mad:

I've got a 6-hour FLL-SEA-FLL R/T flight on Alaska to look forward to in July! No doubt with the top of the seat in front of me just a few inches from my nose from Gear Up to Gear Down.... :eek:

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.