1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Americans Want A Shorter Leash On Emotional Support Animals On Planes: FlightAware

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Lord Leighton, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Something needs to be done about this. It was getting way out of hand.

3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I may have been too flippant in a previous comment where I said the people who need ESA's should just take a Xanax and get on the damn plane. I know and personally know my wife's friend where and ESA is essential to her mental well being and is sincere about having her dog with her. When we asked her to come visit us when we lived in Tucson she declined saying that she was concerned about taking her dog in the passenger cabin of an airplane because he's not trained for all that activity and he himself can become stressed out and get excited and cause a problem. Although we were disappointed I congratulated her on being responsible about not only the ESA's well being but that of other people.
    Like my experience at Northwest that at the time would only accept Service Animals in the cabin and cats in a carrier, many people tried to pass off their dogs as Service Animals to avoid paying additional fees or ride in the cargo hold where I can sympathize you don't want Fido to be. But some people just have unmitigated gaul and entitlement and fought me "all the way to Corporate" (go ahead I'm going to sleep tonight anyway). I can't imagine what airline employees today are putting up with today with the ESA's and even though I laughed at the alligator postings I'm sure knowing the public someone already tried something like that already.
    The Department of Transportation did a study and asked for comments from the public on setting standards for the transport of ESA's and then did nothing.
    The restrictions have to be stricter a note from your mother should not suffice, and some kind of training should be mandated for the ESA's and the breeds should be limited to Dogs and Cats and no Peacocks.
    Exuma was right in one of his comments, if their so well trained than they should be able to wear a muzzle. In addition and animal that yelps, pulls, barks at other people (which I witnessed at Northwest) should not be permitted in the passenger cabin.
    And as the writer of the Forbes article suggests the airlines are hesitant about getting stricter for fear of bad publicity and of course once again money talks, loosing potential passengers by not setting standards. They already have had so many instances where these animals have injured both passengers and crew something has to be done to set limits on them.

4. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Any animal could be a service animal.....what would they think of next?
    1DF25955-A621-42CE-B8F5-299D98A5C40A.jpeg

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  5. Everett 757

:eek::eek:

6. Kevin

Yeah, I don't know why someone hasn't taken any action except for Delta making the breeds they will accept as Emotional Support Animals stricter but many people have been injured already and poof no action. IMHO a Service Animal is usually a trained animal of the canine breed and a breed that usually can tolerate a busy noisy environment and trained by professionals who train nothing but service dogs. The people who do the training should be certified by the DOT and an official certificate should be issued that the animal is trained. As far as ESA goes they say one of the reasons they don't require training is handicapped people may not be able to afford it and everyone should have the ability to bring their Crocodile on the plane for emotional support.

Then create non-profits that will do the training at no cost and limit the breeds that can be considered ESA's and if some people can't travel than they should contact their physician for alternative methods that will help them travel. My oldest daughter is terrified of turbulence even though I assure her that the plane is designed to endure turbulence she still freaks out. No ESA for her and she doesn't drink, but when she hits turbulence she has two cranberry and vodkas puts on headphones and is fine. Whatever works. I just thought what is Amtrak's and Bus Lines policy on Service Animals and ESAs? Have to look that up.

7. Kevin

I checked Amtrak's Service Animal and Emotional Support Animal policy and they are stricter than the airlines!! No charge for a trained Service Animal, the train crew can ask the passenger what the animal helps them with and decide if it a true service animal or a pet.

Service Animals must sit at the passengers feet quietly just like airline guidelines. Emotional Support Animals are considered "Pets" by Amtrak, they must be in a carrier or crate and there is a $26 charge per 7 hours on board the train. At any time if the Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal is considered to be disruptive the Train Crew can put the Animal and Passenger off at the next station even if it is not a scheduled stop. WTF? Amtrak is stricter than the airlines. They have the ability to put the disruptive animal off because their on the damn ground. You can't do that at 35,000 feet. The airlines should get some cahones and stop this Service Animal ESA crap. I don't see Amtrak being sued. Isn't Amtrak alos governed by the DOT?

8. Everett 757

Interesting! Thanks for the information about Amtrak.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  9. Richard Wyeroski

:DAn emotional support Elephant would be a problem

Everett 757, Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  10. Lord Leighton

At least it's a Republican. There's enough a$$es who kick and scream on A/C already(the biggest of those ride on Private jets and consume more vodka than the plane does Jet-A)and don't forget a lot of 747Fs transport elephants from Africa too the USA for zoos, ranches, habitats etc. ;)

Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  11. Lord Leighton

You just destroyed the 'Sled Team' transportation model from Anchorage to Nome, lol.

Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  12. Everett 757

But at least it wouldn’t forget. :rolleyes::D

13. Richard Wyeroski

:D

Lord Leighton likes this.
  14. Richard Wyeroski

Hey Everett you beat out LL for the snippy remark......he must be slipping!?:D

Everett 757 likes this.
  15. Everett 757

Thanks Rich! Once in awhile I manage to get a one-liner in! As for LL, I’m sure he has a good one on the way! :D

Richard Wyeroski and Kevin like this.
  16. Lord Leighton

No, I was at the Diplomat Beach resort with my 2 daughters in Hollywood, FL through Costco. It was fabulous, but they ain't shy on their pricing while there, never swam in water so warm and I only got to bite 3 sharks. I leave my computer behind on vacation. Flew on some brand new Delta A-321s both ways. Good pilots too! Had to laugh when some people said the dogs in the cargo hold were loud. :p Told my daughters that was the power transfer pump.

Everett 757 and Richard Wyeroski like this.