1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Amazing Experience: Flying an Alaska Bush Plane Through Glacier Bay National Park

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by vegli, May 3, 2014.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    [​IMG]
    The Yakutat Coastal Airlines de Havilland Otter – Photo: David Delagarza

Having recently embarked on a fair number of adventures around the world, one of the questions I sometimes get asked is what my favorite airline is. No one expects the answer: Yakutat Coastal Airlines.

Never heard of them? I’d be surprised if you had. Their fleet is pretty limited, at two aircraft, and they only have one full-time pilot, Hans Munich. The passenger experience is a bit different as well. The seats are uncomfortable. There is no food or drink available on board. You even have to load your own luggage into the hold. But you’re not going to find many others operating the charter routes they do, and the in-flight views couldn’t be any better.

Our flight was the culmination of a grand adventure my wife and I took, along with a small group of friends, in the summer of 2012. The main reason for the trip was a twelve-day whitewater rafting trip on the Tatshenshini and Alsek rivers through Glacier Bay National Park (Alaska), Kluane National Park and Preserve (Yukon Territory), and Tatshenshini-Alsek Park (British Columbia.)

Just getting to the starting point of the rafting trip was a logistical adventure in and of itself. It all started with a Southwest Airlines flight from Denver to Seattle, followed by an Alaska Airlines flight to Juneau, Alaska. Then, we hopped on the Alaska State Ferry for a spectacular four-hour trip up the Lynn canal to the small town of Haines.

In Haines, we stocked up on food, rented rafts and other gear, and hired transport for the final 100-mile drive to to the north. Our launch point into the wilderness was at the end of a rough road in Yukon Territory, at a place called Dalton Post. We spent 12 days on the Tatshenshini and Alsek rivers running rapids, watching Bald Eagles soar overhead, embarking on some magnificent hikes, and trying to avoid grizzly bears.

The last few days of the trip brought us over the international boundary and into Glacier Bay National Park, where we had the opportunity to get up close and personal with glaciers. The highlight of the river trip was floating on Alsek Lake, surrounded by dozens of towering icebergs. Once we reached the end of the river trip at Dry Bay, there was no road to greet us – a grass landing strip was our only connection back to civilization.

[​IMG]
    Otter landing at Dry Bay – Photo: David Delagarza

The plane that we had chartered for our trip out of the wilderness was a de Havilland DHC-3 Otter. Although this 10-seat aircraft went out of production in 1967, it remains a popular workhorse of the Alaska bush, with both fixed gear and float plane variants. Most of the Otters still in use today are modified with a conversion from the original Pratt & Whitney Wasp radial engine to a turbine power plant.

More...
    http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014...-alaska-bush-plane-glacier-bay-national-park/

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Trip of a lifetime! Ty

Edward Jeszka likes this.
  3. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

Looks like some fun flying. I would say that the runway must have been really expensive and complicated to build. :D

Lord Leighton likes this.