1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Allegiant diverts flight then strands 153 passengers at Syracuse and flies empty plane on to Niagara

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Everett 757, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

United States United States
    BUFFALO, N.Y. - A spokesperson for Allegiant Air told 7Eyewitness News all passengers on Flight 894 will be reimbursed the full cost of their ticket from St. Petersburg to Niagara Falls. The flight was scheduled to arrive in the Falls around 5 p.m. last Thursday but was diverted to Syracuse due to low visibility.

Passengers on the flight say they were stuck waiting at Hancock International Airport in Syracuse for hours while the airline told them it was arranging for buses to take everyone back to Niagara Falls.

Dave Mammoser of Hamburg said Allegiant told passengers at 9 p.m. they'd have to find their own way home.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/allegiant-...n-syracuse-after-flight-diverted-from-n-falls

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

The answer that Allegiant gave as to why the plane took off for Niagara Falls empty was BS. What airline in their right mind would allow that WITHOUT the assurance of clear weather is beyond me and to leave the pax stranded on their own is inconceivable! The other thing is, aren't these planes designed (MD-80s) to land in IMC? LOSERS!

3. xnwa

xnwa Hangar Bronze Member III

Par for the course for Allegiant.

4. Lord Leighton

Maybe a 'Hole in One'! o_O

Drjohn and Kevin like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

Why doesn't this surprise me? It's more of Allegiants mismanagement.

Drjohn, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  6. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

.....sounds like the weather was below minimums. No airline is authorized to land in these conditions. It is wrong not to bus the passengers to the final destination as promised. Someone made a poor decision!?.....

7. Jerald

Jerald Hangar Associate Member V

The bus operators probably asked for cash-up-front for the passenger's tickets and Allegiant couldn't come up with it.....

But, truthfully, how WERE the people suppose to get "back" to Niagara Falls if the Syracuse bus companies were "all booked up"? By taxi?

8. Lord Leighton

Yeah, But they flew the plane empty to Niagara Falls about 3 hrs later.

Drjohn, Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I've been bussed from PVD to BOS after my Delta Shuttle flight aborted an attempt to land in fog. So bussing the passengers seemed to be the right thing to do. I guess what got the passengers PO'd is the aircraft flew onto Niagara Falls empty I would assume to position the aircraft and crew for it's next flight. But if the destination airport was below minimums the only thing I can assume is the crew (or Allegiant management) was hoping for the weather to improve while the aircraft was airborne. I know most charter buses are booked well in advance and a quick Google check shows only 3 Charter Bus companies in the Syracuse area and none of them had any extra busses? There were also 3 School Bus companies that do charters. If that stopped Allegiant from calling them I bet the passengers would have rather ride in a School Bus than find their own transportation home. I've seen resourceful passengers share rental cars, taxis and even limos in bad weather mainly business travelers. That's not Allegiant's market and maybe not everyone could afford to rent a car or take a taxi. Whoever made this call at Allegiant screwed the pooch. I hope the passengers actually get a "refund" and not a flight voucher for future travel.

Drjohn, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  10. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

......I know on demand charter (FAR 135) require that destination airport be forecast to be within minimum landing requirements. FAR 121 (Airlines) are no different in this situation. The crew that departed "empty" had to know that there was a good chance they would be allowed to shoot the approach and land!!....No aircraft are authorized to shoot an instrument approach if the landing airport is below minimums for landing. If an aircraft is operating under FAR 91, which is a non revenue flight, the aircraft can take a look and shoot the approach.....so flying "empty" is non revenue?.....right ....and the flight then can shoot the approach, even if the airport is below minimums......go figure?.....they can at least get the aircraft back to it's intended landing airport and not lose any more money....;)

11. Lord Leighton

And prepare for their next flight.

Drjohn, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.