1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Airline Sampler- Part 2: Flying in 1st Class on United’s 787-8 Dreamliner

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by vegli, May 2, 2015.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    [​IMG]
    N27908, United’s 8th 787. Photo Courtesy of BriBri (CC BY-SA 2.0)

In part one of this series I provided an overview of my airline sampler trip (5 airlines over 4 days) and offered my thoughts on my very first flight with Virgin America, from Dallas to San Francisco. Here we pick back up at SFO for a quick journey down to LAX in the first class cabin aboard a United 787-8.

This leg of my airline sampler was actually the catalyst for the entire trip. I happened to stumble upon an announcement that United would be briefly returning the 787 to domestic service for once weekly (Friday) service from SFO-LAX. I didn’t get the opportunity to check out the Dreamliner when United had them on domestic runs when they were first introduced. After a number of friends booked their own 787 experiences only to be disappointed by the wrong plane at the gate, due to operational issues, I decided to hold off. I was skeptic for too long and wound up missing my opportunity. Some time had passed and United now had a number of 787s in service, so I figured that the time was right.

The economy fare was very attractively priced at a meager $72.10 — what a bargain! When United.com solicited me to pay an extra $29 for economy plus I jumped at it.

As a Boeing fan-boy, I was excited, but that joy would soon evaporate like spilled Jet A on a hot day. It pains me to report that problems began before I ever stepped foot on the plane…

[​IMG]
    Twice thanked, but request not fulfilled. Do not pass go. Do not collect $29 dollars. Photo: United.com

I chose my seat and finalized my purchase only to encounter an error message: “We are unable to complete your seat purchase at this time. Please try again later.” I wasn’t sure how to react so I went back to make sure my seat was assigned and as per the message, it wasn’t. My invoice from United showed I’d simply purchased an economy fare even though I was charged for both. Hoping some system sweep might catch the error I waited two days and checked again, no difference. I phoned United and was told that I’d need to take it up with my credit issuer. I did, and they refunded the economy plus charge. Bummer. I guess economy on a 787 isn’t bad, but I wanted better.

Enter my frequent travel pal Dan (who was the lucky recipient of my Southwest Airlines companion pass a few times), who was for years a die-hard United 1k that had recently defected to American. He had a number of upgrades banked and when he had heard of the ordeal offered to upgrade me. Reciprocity is a beautiful thing.

[​IMG]
    SFO’s Centurion Lounge. Photo: Mighty Travels (CC BY 2.0)

The weather in San Francisco the day of the flight was incredible. After a bit of plane spotting and a quick visit to the SFO Centurion Lounge, we were off through security. My upgrade awarded me access to a priority screening lane, yet Dan who has PreCheck scooted through much quicker than me. Maybe I was wrong about TSA Pre?

After a quick trek to international departures I had arrived at the 787. Even through the polka-doted SFO glass, it was a beautiful machine with graceful lines. I had plenty of time to stare at the Dreamliner as my flight was unfortunately over an hour delayed.

When it came time to board United’s 787 it all felt a bit disjointed. The lead gate agent had taken quite a verbal beating from passengers upset by the delay and at risk of missing their connections. The agent’s stress came through loud and clear as he announced boarding. I’m not sure if he skipped part of the process or not, but no one was where they belonged and there was a lot of general confusion.

Although I had premier access group, because of the chaos at the gate, and from me being a bit laid back and not pushy to force my way on, I ended up being the last to board. No harm though, as seat 3A was all mine. Although I think their new boarding process would have been a huge help here.

As I entered the plane I knew I would be turning left, a real treat for me since most of my time is spent aboard 737s, always turning right. A well-dressed flight attendant greeted me as I entered, but as soon as I tried to turn left he challenged me. Only after I’d pulled up the boarding pass on my phone to prove my “right” to turn left was I allowed to proceed. I understand that part of their job is to assist passengers board efficiently and properly, he didn’t need to automatically act like I didn’t belong. Another odd, and frankly annoying experience.

[​IMG]
    Seat 3A. My home for the quick journey to LAX.

As soon as I made it to my seat another, more friendly flight attendant greeted me, and offered to take my drink order as well as stow my jacket. This, all before I was even seated.

Just moments after placing my carry-on overhead and my camera bag under the seat in front of me the personification of “the friendly skies” flight attendant had returned, drink in hand. Now talk about attentive! I regret that I didn’t write down her name because her service and disposition were the real highlight of the human element for this leg of the trip.

My seat was sufficiently comfortable, but it felt a bit cheap. The metal below had a slight forward backward give, which made a “clank” as it shifted. I suspect this was part of the recline mechanism as I’ve never had a traditional seat move like this. There was plenty of room, but the padding on the 14 month-old seats had already broken down and was much thinner than I would have expected in first class on a plane intended for long-haul flights. By comparison, the padding I experienced on Spirit’s “Big Front” seat last year felt thicker (sorry, but it’s true!).

There was AC power and a USB outlet, but they were both over my left shoulder nearly above my head. I’m not sure who designed this setup, but clearly they weren’t familiar with the concept of the standard 3-foot iPhone charging cable. Sure, I had access to power, but using my phone while it was plugged in wouldn’t be an option. Thankfully I came prepared with my own power bank which fit well on the shelf below the in-flight entertainment monitor.

My, now favorite, United flight attendant came through with a hot towel service which felt wonderful. I’ve only experienced this elsewhere in Delta’s first class and have to say it I’m a sucker for it. As we pushed back, the towels and first round of drinks were collected, and it was time for me to explore United’s in-flight entertainment.

[​IMG]
    Route map for SFO-LAX. Notice the extra line originating off of the NW coast of Africa.

Checking out the navigation map, I noticed something strange. Our origination point was showing as some imaginary airport that resides in the ocean just off of the northwest coast of Africa. I couldn’t understand what was going on and this distracting line remained on the various route map views for the duration of the flight.

More...
    http://www.airlinereporter.com/2015...-2-flying-1st-class-uniteds-787-8-dreamliner/

2. BJMLoLLaG

BJMLoLLaG Hangar Silver Member II

Indonesia Indonesia
    It sounds (or better read) like you are not completely convinced to like or to hate the experience ..........

3. Oggie

Oggie Hangar Bronze Member IV

United States United States
    I am reminded of an AAL flight I took many years ago. My wife and I were booked on a morning flight JFK to STX (Christiansted, St. Croix). We had flown CLE-LGA the night before, took a shuttle bus to JFK and chose to spend the night in the terminal.
    While waiting to board our flight to STX, my name was called by the gate agent. I went to the podium and was told that we were being upgraded to first class (unbeknownst to me my sister had a contact at AAL who had arranged this).

However, when it was boarding time we mentioned this to another gate agent as we still had our coach boarding passes. She looked at me, blue jeans and flannel shirt clad (it was winter) with a day's beard growth, and said, "Um...this was intended for a different passenger with the same name".
    Yeah right!
    Needless to say-we rode to STX in back with the rest of the tattered masses...and my estimation of AAL dropped considerably.