1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Air Transat drink charge pilots released on bail

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by David, Jul 26, 2016.

1. David

David Hangar Bronze Member II

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Image captionThe pilots were due to take control of this Air Transat Airbus A310
    Two Canadian pilots charged with being impaired by alcohol as they prepared to fly a passenger jet from Scotland to Toronto have been released on bail.

Jean-Francois Perreault, 39, and Imran Zafar Syed, 37, were arrested on 18 July before the Air Transat flight left Glasgow Airport.

Both were remanded in custody at Paisley Sheriff Court last week.

At the same court, both pilots have now been granted bail on condition they surrender their passports.

Mr Perreault, from the province of Ontario, and Mr Syed, from Toronto, were detained at the airport on Monday last week.

Flight delay
    The delayed Airbus A310 flight eventually set off on Tuesday morning, with about 250 passengers having spent the night at nearby hotels.

The men were remanded in custody when they first appeared, charged under section 93 of the Railway and Transport Safety Act, which covers alcohol and drug limits in aviation.

They also initially faced a charge of threatening and abusive behaviour which has since been dropped from the petition.

On Tuesday, the men were bailed during a brief appearance in private where they made no plea or declaration.

The pilots are believed to have left via the back door of the court in a silver people carrier with blacked-out windows about an hour-and-a-half after their appearance in court room one.

Section 93 of the Railway and Transport Safety Act states: "A person commits an offence if he performs an aviation function at a time when the proportion of alcohol in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit, or he carries out an activity which is ancillary to an aviation function at a time when the proportion of alcohol in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit."

For pilots, the limit of alcohol in the case of breath is nine microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres, according to the Act.

Air Transat announced last week that both pilots had been suspended while an internal investigation was carried out.

Tamarindwalk, xnwa and Lord Leighton like this.
  2. Flytdeck

Flytdeck Hangar Bronze Member VI

Qatar Qatar
    Further to the above story.

Two Air Transat pilots from the GTA have been granted bail in a Glasgow court after being arrested last week for allegedly trying to fly a jet while under the influence of alcohol.
    Captain Jean-Francois Perreault, 39, and first officer Imran Zafar Syed, 37, both of the Toronto area, were ordered to surrender their passports before they were set free at Paisley Sheriff Court on Tuesday, the Scottish Sun and Glasgow Live reported.
    The men were arrested on July 18 at Glasgow Airport shortly before their flight to Toronto with a reported 250 passengers was due to take off.
    The flight was delayed almost 24 hours.
    Perreault and Syed had been held in custody for a week after a brief first court appearance July 19.
    They are charged with performing an aviation function while over the legal alcohol limit, and threatening and abusive behaviour.
    They have been suspended by the Montreal-based airline.
    Air Transat president Jean-Francois Lemay said last week that the carrier will compensate the passengers “pursuant to the applicable European regulations.”'
    The United Kingdom's Railway and Transport Safety Act bars people from conducting aviation functions “when the proportion of alcohol in (their) breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit.”
    Canadian aviation regulations ban aircraft crew members from working while intoxicated or within eight hours of consuming alcohol.
    The grounded jet’s passengers included celebrity decorators Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan, whose programs include “Cabin Pressure.”
    Glasgow Live reported that Perreault and Syed were believed to have left via the back door of the court in a vehicle with blacked-out windows about 90 minutes after their court appearance.

3. David

I think a comment would have been more appropriate than a copy?

Tamarindwalk and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Don't drink and drive?

Tamarindwalk and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Those guys musta been really pissed up eh? Hose heads. ;)

Flytdeck likes this.
  6. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Not sure HOW inebriated they were. 40 years ago the "bottle to throttle" rule was a bit grey but these days most airline crews use 12 hours as their cutoff. Professional crews place their responsibilities to their passengers and crew FIRST. If these chaps are found to have been intoxicated then they should face the consequences. Undisciplined behaviour reflects badly on us all.

Jude and Lord Leighton like this.
  7. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    A few rules for new pilots reading the site-
    1) There are some folks in Glasgow that take exception to French Canadiens, particularly if they have Arabic names.
    2) If you're in Glasgow, don't get in an argument with a retired police occifer at a bar. It will cause a surprise for you the next morning at the security check-point.
    3) Twelve hours may not be long enough for the alcohol to work out of the body's system.
    4) Breathalyzers are not available to crew members until it's too late.
    5) If it's too late, and you blow .01% over the legal limit, as these pilots did, your only defense is that the last .01% to legality would have burned off in the 2 hours between reporting and actually operating the aircraft.

Of course this is purely advice. I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics of any particular incident.

Lord Leighton and Flytdeck like this.
  8. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Very good and somewhat disturbing information. One part of my kit is a breathalyzer device that plugs into my cell. Costs about 25.00USD. Though alcohol consumption is minimal, it is still a good check for both flying AND driving.

Jude and Lord Leighton like this.
  9. David

In the UK all alcohol content of beers, wines, and spirits is worked out in "units". The avarage pint of beer 4.0% abv contains approx 3 units. If someone was to drink 3 pints over an evening and finish with a single shot of whiskey at say 11pm it could take untill lunch time the day after for the body to process all this alcohol.
    This is based on scientific research.
    The liver processes 1 unit of alcohol per hour from the body on average but this is also dependant on several factors i.e age, sleep pattern, a persons BMI and whether food has been consumed. I have worked in the brewing industry for 20 years and have seen many good people fall foul of the law especially when they have relied on cheap breathalisers which can be anywhere from 20%-60% inaccurate

Flytdeck likes this.
  10. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Request more info on your device. How accurate is it?

Flytdeck, David and Lord Leighton like this.
  11. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    An excellent question and I do not have an answer, yet. It was an impulse buy on a stay in China and my only testing has been to try it after having a few beers. It measures BAC levels and the displayed level is consistent with the alcohol I have consumed. Really need another device for comparison and it is likely not a good idea to appear at work after a few tipples and ask them to do a breathalyzer test on me ("Oh, that reading is NOTHING.... I can do WAY better...).

Any suggestions on a reasonable course of action to test accuracy?

On this topic, this is an interesting document: http://www.lifeloc.com/measurement.aspx

12. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States

Here are some affordable options. There are many other options available out there too. In Michigan, repeat offenders who are allowed to keep their driver's licenses (depending on the skill of their attorneys) are ordered to have a state provided breathalyzer (at huge expense and monthly fees) installed on their vehicles (licensed to drive that vehicle only) that they have to blow into and pass in order for that vehicle to start. Any tampering is an automatic Felony. In Ontario, Canada, Anybody convicted of a DWI for a third time, lose their driver's licenses for life, along with a long prison sentence (as long as it isn't some pansy liberal judge).

www.testyourselfathome.com/Alcohol.htm

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Flytdeck likes this.
  13. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    I liked this unit as it attached to my smartphone and would not only give me a reading, but the app also estimates time to dissipation based on age, weight, gender (almost said sex but I am pretty sure it does not compensate for that), and gives the option of food intake (though it does not seem to have much impact on the result). It is a "blow on this spot" device so can be used by multiple people with at least SOME sanitary responsibility.

In case the device is left at home, one can do an estimate using the app by entering consumption. It will give an estimate of your BAC.

In many parts of the world the tolerance is 0% for driving. If I can have this device tested for calibration, it might be a handy tool to keep at home AND in the travel kit.

Lord Leighton likes this.