1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

A cut to the chase on the Boeing crashes

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Richard Wyeroski, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    The author on this article has a spot on reply as to why the crashes happened. It comes down to "fly by wire" FBW aircraft are certified differently.

I think some pilots will agree FBW takes control away from the pilot. An example is Sully could have never restarted the engines because the probes that measure engine operating parameters were damaged when the birds went through the engines. The Computer would not let the engine restart!

IMHO the investigation by the DOT should reveal just what part the FAA had in the certification of the MAX. Like some questions, Did they rubber stamp Beoing engineer data?, should the MAX have been a new Type Certificate Certification?, was there a software problem?.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE
    https://airfactsjournal.com/2019/03...m_content=Mac McClellan On The Boeing 737 MAX

2. Richard Wyeroski

......BTW I am not a fan of FBW.....it has limitations and takes control away from the pilot.

It is cheaper to build an aircraft this way and maintenance is also less. However it is at a price.......if the computer says no!......EVERYBODY DIES!!!!

3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Which is why President Trump being filled in on the matter forming his decision to ground Tweeted https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...-complex-following-ethiopian-airlines-n982146

4. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

...it's sad that it took the regulator another day after the "biggly one's" announcement to finally get the data to ground the fleet. The regulator continues to stand by their story that it was data that decided the grounding and not political knee jerk reaction like the other countries. One day that POS data will miss the next "big one"!! It sounds like the regulator needs to be scrapped and brought under the NTSB, a true safety organization.

5. Richard Wyeroski

I still find it hard to believe that crews did not know how to disconnect the auto trim system.

Another question is will there be transparency with the investigation? Usually accidents can take a year or more to conclude and the cause is not clear. However the difference is 346 people are dead and the 737 Max
    has 5000 orders that are on hold and already cancelations are coming in to Boeing?

It appears to me that the FAA rubber stamped the certification. The reason is the agency did not have the resources to do the certification. Someone in the FAA management dropped the ball and it starts with the Administrator!

6. Rotorruss

This guy does a pretty good job in explaining things. It's pretty easy to Monday morning quarterback things.

Transparency will be different since it's an international crash. Historically, the NTSB refers the probable cause to the host country. The FBI won't release anything until the investigation is over and the DOJ files charges or declines prosecution.

With the recent events in the country, I have little faith in any transparency or the whole thing not being covered up. SAD!!

Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.
  7. Rotorruss

This is an interesting tidbit of information. For the mechanic types, is this true??

Everett 757, Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

As Mr. Spock would say "Fascinating.

One question I have is since the Lion Air accident brought to light the issue with the MCAS system was not the Ethiopian Crew aware of this issue. Was there not a Airworthiness Directive and a Boeing Service Bulletin issued to this fact? Ethiopian Airlines is a respected carrier and I heard they even have a Boeing 737Max8 simulator on one of the news reports although I can't confirm how true that is.

So If I was a Boeing 737MAX8 pilot and was following the crash of the Lion Air aircraft I would been all over it. From what I understand the procedure in the case of a runaway trim tab is to shut off the trim tab motors which should disengage the MCAS system fly the plane manually and use the trim wheels if necessary. If the MCAS system is also responsible for the Ethiopian accident was not the crew aware of this procedure or could the not disengage the MCAS system for whatever reason. Just a thought.

The whole debacle comes down to the certification of this aircraft when it should never had been certified. What's next for the FAA and Boeing? A DOT hearing? A Congressional investigation? Certainly warranted but will it change this Administrator/Manufactured relationship in the future to ensure this kind of oversight doesn't happened again.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  9. Lord Leighton

In the case of Indonesia's Garuda cancelling their orders, it is reported that Garuda was having a hard time financially and these incidents have 'let them off the hook' so to speak so they could cancel with the minimal monetary penalty.

Rotorruss, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  10. Lord Leighton

As Spock would also say "Logical!" If the manuals both pilot's and mechanic's were woefully under informing, I can see by that video how these events came about. Duelling AOA vains, what a concept no one seemed to know!:eek: Now we see how the surviving first crew could deal with it, where the doomed crew couldn't.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Rotorruss, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.