1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

737 down in Jacksonville Florida

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Richard Wyeroski, May 3, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
  3. Richard Wyeroski

Yes, they showed the cell hitting the airport the same time the flight was landing? I wonder why they didn’t hang out until it passes? Oh well nature won and thankfully and luckily no one was hurt!

4. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Wonder what the regulator's computer missed the risk assessment on oversight with this operator?? What a way to do your oversight hiding behind the computer!

5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

Looks like weather played the major role in this accident but everybody lucked out thankfully. My question is what weather information did the crew have as they attempted the landing? One of the passengers described heavy rain and thunderstorm activity. They said the plane bounced twice after touching down then yawing to the right and left before its final touchdown and what she described as a "crash". Thunderstorms, wet runway I don't know about the wind but weather will be one factor and I'm sure the NTSB will be looking at the "Human Factors" in this landing. Just glad there is no body count on this one.

6. Richard Wyeroski

The investigation will begin. It was a night weather, wet runway landing with wind! Not a nice night. The outcome was better then most under these conditions. The Crew had to know where the cell was and if they didnot then maybe ATC dropped the ball here and let the crew find out the hard way!

Not nice ATC?!;)

7. Rotorruss

I seem to remember a Little Rock crash where the crew continued in bad weather. They had the unfortunate meeting of the approach light towers at the other end. Human factors will definitely be investigated. The regulator will be on the hook regardless of what the investigation reveals just because of the deepest pockets.

Wonder how much the operator had with self regulating themselves??

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

If I remember the Little Rock crash in they were worried about exceeding their duty hours if they diverted despite warnings from Little Rock about the bad weather conditions and in their haste to get the plane on the ground in adverse conditions trying to beat a storm that was already in front of them but not shown on their weather radar because of "attenuation" they skipped the check list and forgot to arm the spoilers on the AA MD-80. The Captain didn't make it but the F/O survived. I think there was about 15 passengers also killed but don't know how many souls on board at the time. Bad decision making.

9. Rotorruss

Human factors is a hard thing to figure. All to often people assume that just because someone has thousands of hours, someone won't make errors. I don't take much stock in hours to predict safety and risk mitigation. I was injured and disabled from a helicopter crash from a pilot who had 10,000 hours of helicopter time.

10. Rotorruss

11. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Lord Leighton likes this.
  12. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Bad reviews for many years but soon it won't matter.
    Miami Air will likely lose the Navy contract, and that will be the end of the airline.
    As for NAS JAX, 2439 meters of very wet asphalt is not forgiving of sloppy technique.
    It's very slippery when wet. The anti-skid will be cycling furiously.
    There are no ILS approaches, only an LNAV/VNAV that's not much better than a standard non-precision approach.
    Even if there was 1 bounce instead of 2 as stated by some pax, it's all I need for a hypothesis of what happened.
    The weather was rapidly improving at the time and I likely would have tried the approach too,
    but the landing would have stuck exactly where I wanted it to.

13. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

If a 737 bounces 1-2 times, this delays the deployment of the ground spoilers which rely on right main gear 'strut compression' as well as wheel spin up to at least 60 knots.

The 'squat switch' is on the right main gear and it also allows the Thrust Reversers to work as well at the spoilers on the top of the wing to pop up.

The fuel load will carefully be looked at and the crew will be asked, why they did not: A) Hold somewhere, or B) Divert.

There are plenty of airports very close by that can handle a 737 easily.

14. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

The 'Nut Cracker' didn't pop.