1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

7.1 Earthquake shakes Alaska airport – video

Discussion in 'Airport News, Talk & Discussion' started by vegli, Jan 25, 2016.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Wow! That is pretty impressive the way the overhead lights are swinging. It would be scary to be there during that. :eek:

3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Shake, Rattle and Roll!

Everett 757 and Irish MD-11 like this.
  4. Irish MD-11

Irish MD-11 Hangar Bronze Member V

Switzerland Switzerland
    I have "experienced" 2 shockwaves in recent years, both in Switzerland and of low Richter scale values. The first one during the night. I was awakened by a feeling of lying on my back on an inflatable boat riding the waves near the beach. Epicenter was some 30 miles from us. My wife then woke up. Then light on and yes, the overhead lampshade was swinging gently like the needle on a grandfather's clock...
    The second one in Geneva at work, shortly before 5pm, was standing, and I felt the same wave effect coming through the floor.
    We have a good number of these tremors in any given year, but not much crockery falling off tables, certainly not like Japan:)!
    Had never heard of a tremor in Alaska, I've read about the San Andreas fault down in CA.

Irish MD-11

Everett 757, xnwa and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Alaska is a huge seismic zone. Giant destructive quake back in the 60s there and It's part of the Pacific Rim. Minor quakes there all the time.

Everett 757, Irish MD-11 and xnwa like this.