1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

28 A/A flight attendant bitten by emotional support dog, requires five stitches: FlightAware

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Lord Leighton, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

This an example of the abuse of the American with Disabilities Act which left a big hole in the definition of a "Service Animal" and the more recent "Emotional Support Animal"definition. When I worked for Northwest Airlines in the late 90's we only accepted "Service Animals" for travel on board the aircraft cabin.
    The only problem was there was guidelines written by Northwest but none written into the ADA that clearly defined what qualifies as a service animal. No certificates of training or proof was needed more than in most cases a veterinarian certificate that the animal was healthy and had all of the necessary shots. That was Northwest's guidelines not the ADA.

I could tell a mile a way a real Service Animal by their behavior as they stood quietly and obediently next to the person their caring for instead of the yelping restless dogs with the little red SERVICE ANIMAL vest. The only question we were allowed to ask is "What condition does your Service Animal mitigate?" if there was a question if the animal was a true Service Animal. Of course I would be barraged by nasty comments and people sticking bogus certificates and vet notes and the fact that it was wearing a vest made it a service animal.

I would point out to the people that were trying to sneak Fido on without paying the extra fee that it is our responsibility that all the passengers and the crew onboard the aircraft were safe and there would be no events in flight that would interfere with the cabin crew or fellow passengers and that there were no such things as "Service Animal Certificates" bought on the internet as written into the ADA. The thing I hated is Northwest left this decision up to us the Customer Service Supervisor since there was no government definitons whether to deny the boarding into the passenger cabin and tell the passenger they would have to travel in the cargo hold and buy a crate and pay for the transport of the animal for about $250. Exactly what they were trying to avoid. But to the nasty people who felt so entitled that it was OK to disrupt a 2 hour flight and disturb their fellow passengers and interfering with the Cabin Crew I relished informing them this is what they would have to do it they want Fido to travel with them today.

I won't even get into the "Emotional Support Animal" thing which I fortunately didn't have to deal with. Just take a Xanax and get on the damn plane.

I have seen cases where these so called Service Animals that were left on board became disruptive before departure and put off finally by the decision of the Captain. I enjoyed watching that because the man or woman in charge of your safety is now calling you out.

I still have to deal with this B.S. today at Hertz when we have to charge a $300 cleaning fee for a car interior covered with dog hair after informing the customer no pets or smoking in the car they suddenly claim it was a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal. Should be better governmental guidelines so nobody in business s the bad guy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  3. Lord Leighton

I would be especially suspect of toothless Pit bulls named 'Nadler' as well. :D

Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Lol!! :D:D

Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

How long has he been around? He was in New York City politics as an Assemblyman when I lived in Queens which I left at age 27 and he weighed over 300lbs. I didn't realize to the recent hearings he was the same guy. He really should resign to spend more time with his family after all these years.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  6. Lord Leighton

He had one of those stomach stapling operations years ago. Unfortunately, it causes all his s**t to go to his head.

7. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    A properly trained service animal should be comfortable wearing a muzzle...

Just saying....

Kevin, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  8. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

How a bout a service alligator?

Everett 757 likes this.
  9. Everett 757

Lol! I’m sure someone has already considered it. :eek:

10. Richard Wyeroski

yep!
    F5B39A61-B6D4-43F0-B8AC-CA4F4436AFB6.jpeg

The passengers might not like it?

Everett 757, Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  11. Lord Leighton

I heard they can be pretty cuddly if ya keep them well fed. :rolleyes:

12. Richard Wyeroski

:D

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  13. Everett 757

Lol! I don’t think I will try it! :D:D